Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Cobb Salad

The sun finally came out. 

Finally.

After a winter blizzard dropped about 2 inches of snow overnight.

But the sun came back. 

After a long long winter's nap. 

And a delightful fellow wrote an article listing the Top 40 Entertaining and Party Blogs and he decided that I made the cut! Pretty sweet really. I am listed with a lot of other great food bloggers. You can read the article HERE.

I thought I should celebrate the sunshine and the kudos with a Delicious Cobb Salad.
I know it sounds kind of wimpy, right? Celebrating with a salad.. 


You might want to know what happened to the chocolate and champagne. 


Well, I ate the chocolate last night and the champagne has been gone for a while.


The Cobb Salad is one of my favorite things on the planet. 
Call me what you will, but it's the truth, just ask any one of my friends.


I love the blue cheese, the egg, the bacon, the avocado, and the yummy chicken. 


It's all of my favorite things in one bowl dressed with salad dressing.


However, it isn't always that great for me. It may be a salad, but it's not always as calorie concious as we might think.

But we can still have bacon because I discovered this! The Hormel Real Crumbled Bacon has only 25 calories per serving!
With warm weather threatening to arrive I need to focus on getting myself back into my itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini... So I worked this recipe for Cobb Salad over. 

I didn't have chicken or I would have added it, so please do if you have some. I also added jicama for a little extra special crunch.

This salad just plain made me happy. Hope it brings a smile to your face too! 


The Cobb Salad


3 Eggs
4 Cups Fresh Spinach
1/4 Cup Bacon Bits
1/2 Large English Cucumber
1/2 Cup Fat Free Feta Cheese Crumbles
1 Cup Jicama; shredded
1. Let's start by hard boiling our eggs: Place the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow to simmer for 8 minutes. Then remove from heat and allow to continue cooking in the hot water for another 10 minutes. Then cover with cold water to cool. Peel them and slice them using dentil floss. 
2. Now take a jicama and shred it. It is a watery deliciously refreshing little vegetable that makes this salad extra special.
3. Lay a healthy portion of fresh spinach across three plates. Top with equal amounts of bacon bits, cucumber, feta cheese, and jicama. 
4. Now lay the sliced egg on one side and presto chango! We're ready to eat!

I drizzled with my favorite Light Balsamic Dressing from Paul Newman. Low in calories and packed with flavor! Yummy!

Servings: 3


Nutritional Skinny:


165 calories / 7.5 g fat / 11.5 g carbohydrates / 3.4 g fiber / 13.3 g protein


Mental Health Benefit: Let's talk a little about jicama. It's sort of a weird little fruit/vegetable that looks like a potato and tastes a little like a pear. But it's packed with a whopping 5.9 grams of fiber and in a world where almost none of us get enough fiber, I think that's pretty amazing. It's also an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, iron, and is a powerful anti-oxidant helping us release inflammation. Plus it's low in calories and has zero fat, so helps us support our goal of getting back into that bikini! Yikes! ;)


Jicama... here I come!







2 comments:

Cris said...

I think I'll just go to Rosie's! If you were here, we'd have a date! Making it at home just isn't the same. :) miss you

Hot Mess Cooking said...

I know! My next adventure is recreating their basil pesto vinaigrette! Miss you too!