Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Soy Ginger Edamame

I've been gone for too long.

My computer was broken. 

Please don't panic. It's fixed now. I called my 'support team' which consists of my boyfriend and the sweet man in town. Between the two of them, they got me up and running. And I didn't even panic even though my life's on this computer.


You'd be proud. Although I did pace around the phone a little like a nervous teenager without a prom date two days before the prom waiting to hear the repair results. 


But that's behind me now. And I'm back!
Just in time to talk about Edamame. I've talked about it before, but never on it's own as it is in this amazingly flavorful Soy Ginger Edamame. The flavors of soy and ginger pair perfectly with the garlic and onion to make a glaze over our Edamame Pods. 
This is one of my favorite snacks because it's loaded with fiber and protein and it's super fun to eat. You just scrape your teeth along the outside and out pops these little bursts of chewy goodness. 


Plus it's great for entertaining because it literally takes about 15 minutes to pull together. From freezer to plate, just 15 minutes! That's the kind of efficiency I'm talkin' about!


So, what are we waiting for! Let's get started!


Soy Ginger Edamame
2 Cups Water
1/2 tsp. Salt 16 Ounces Frozen Edamame in the Pod
1 tsp. Olive Oil
6 Cloves Garlic; minced
1 Tbsp. Dried Minced Onion
1/3 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Dried Ginger
1 tsp. Roasted Cumin
1 tsp. Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. Heat 2 cups of water to a rolling boil with the 1/2 tsp. salt. Once boiling add the frozen edamame. Heat for 2-3 minutes or until the water returns to a boil. Then drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, approx 1-2 minutes. Add the minced dried onion, soy sauce, ginger, and cumin. Cook for 4-5 minutes. The flavors will combine and the soy sauce will start to reduce.
3. Turn the heat down to low and add the edamame to the skillet. Stir to coat the edamame and cook for another 3-4 minutes. 


4. Pour onto a serving platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Can also be prepared ahead of time and served cold if desired!


Servings: 4


Nutritional Skinny:

102 calories / 3.75 g fat / 11 g carbohydrates / 6.8 g fiber / 7 g protein

Mental Health Benefit: These cute little pods are loaded with fiber and protein! Just for one serving of this snack/appetizer their is 6.8 grams of fiber! That's almost unheard of! Not to mention these are delicious and your guests and family will love them! Plus, you usually don't find a lot of protein in appetizers, right? Well, these pack a whopping 7 grams of protein! These should keep your family and guests happy while you whip up the next course...

Dig In!






1 comment:

Dilara said...

wow sounds great and reminds me of my japanese menues in several spa hotels in italy but you can also use edamame for mediterranean dishes like Risotto...love it