Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Huevos Rancheros!

With the weekend only a few hours away I am thinking about Saturday Breakfast. In my family this was always a time when we would put our chores aside and assemble in the kitchen with eggs and any vegetables we could unearth from the refrigerator. 

My dad was the main chef this time (his only real "Cooking moment in the spot light") and I would be in charge of chopping veggies and making toast. 
Then we would all gather together around the table and talk about our plans for the weekend. When I was a teenager, I think I hopelessly went on and on about mascara and my boyfriend, but then again, not much has changed! Well, other than I stopped using clear mascara (I have blond eye lashes what was I thinking!) and I now I am sometimes sitting with my boyfriend sharing this tradition.
In the spirit of the weekend, I am going to share one of our Family Favorites! The Huevos Rancheros.  And the Black Bean Salsa can be used as an appetizer at a dinner party or over your favorite turkey or fish tacos!

Note: If you are concerned about carbohydrates, you can always omit the tortilla and this breakfast is just as satisfying and you save 14 g of carbohydrates, but you also miss out on 5 grams of protein. But these decisions are up to you!

Mexican Huevos Rancheros!

For the Black Bean Salsa:


1 (15 ounce) Can Corn; rinsed
1 (15 ounce) Can Black Beans; rinsed
2 cups Prepared Salsa; look for low sugar
1/2 White Onion; diced
3 Cloves Garlic; minced

Good News: There will be leftover Black Bean Salsa for later!


1. Mince and chop the onion and garlic. Then add to a medium saute pan and cook until onions are tender. About 3-4 minutes. 

2. Then add the corn, black beans, and salsa. Turn the heat to low and simmer while you prepare the eggs!

Oh and we use generic! Don't judge, we are wanting to be thrifty just like you!

Servings: 12 (approx 1/3 cup)


Nutritional Skinny:


43 calories / .3 g fat / 9 g carbohydrates / 3.4 g fiber / 2.4 g protien

For the eggs:

4 Eggs; scrambled
1/2 cup Low Fat Cheddar Cheese
4 Corn Tortillas; we love La Tortilla Factory
1. Heat a large skillet with a pinch of canola oil. When hot add the scrambled eggs and reduce heat to medium low. Add the cheddar cheese and stir to incorporate. Then move the eggs to one side of the pan.
2. Add the tortillas to the other side and allow them to toast on both sides for at least one minute.
3. Then plate! Place the tortilla on a plate and add an egg to the top and pour the black bean salsa over the top! Done! And impressive and delicious! It will get you going on a slow Saturday Morning!

Servings: 4


Nutritional Skinny:


229 calories / 7.4 g fat / 24 g carbohydrates / 4.4 g fiber / 18 g protein


Mental Health Benefit: I want to talk a little bit about the many benefits of eggs. They got a bad wrap for a long time and it's time to come clean about this whole 'egg debate'. For starter eggs are a great source of high quality protein (nearly 6 grams) and they contain 9 essential amino acids. They are also found to be a great source of choline which helps us regulate our nervous system and brain (God only knows I need as much of this as possible!) They also contain the 'right' kind of fat. The fat that is essential to our functioning. They also may help prevent breast cancer and they promote healthy hair, skin, and nails. And there is no direct correlation between heart disease and egg consumption. And this is just me talking, but I think it is the good kind of cholesterol. Eggs raise your HDL (the healthy kind of cholesterol).




So go ahead and have an egg this weekend! 

No comments: