Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spinach and Feta Scramble

It's hump day and I really like cheese. 

I love cheese about any way you can slice it. 

I like cheddar cheese dipped in mustard, brie cheese on pears, and brick cheese on a sandwich. But just the other day I got the warning, "You know honey, cheese is loaded with fat and if you really want to loose weight you can't have a ton of it."


I followed up with my usual, "Well... I DO WHAT I WANT!" anthem, but it got me thinking. How can I eat cheese and have less fat, but keep all the flavor. I want my full flavor cheese and get to eat it too!

That's when a miracle happened in the grocery store and FAT FREE FETA CHEESE came to me like a dream. It slipped into my cart and when I got home and ripped off the top to taste it, I couldn't believe what I discovered...


It tastes just like it's original the FULL FAT FETA evil twin. I immediately bought stock in this (meaning I bought the grocery store out and asked them to order more. I'm not great with all that wealth management business).
This recipe came to me a few mornings ago when I was craving an omlette loaded with cheese, but wanted to find something healthy and easy that I could share with all of you.

The Fat Free Feta jumped out of the fridge with some spinach and... Done.
I cooked this healthy and delicious breakfast up in less than 5 minutes which means you might have time to make yourself a healthy breakfast before heading out to work... Let the dishes sit until you get home. No worries!

This is the perfect breakfast for one, but if you have a family to feed just multiply the ingredients by how many people you have and share the love! 

Plus it's packed with tons of protein and loaded vitamins that are sure to get you over the hump and closer to the weekend!


Enjoy my new found love... Fat Free Feta cheese!


Spinach and Feta Scramble

1 tsp. garlic; minced
3 cups Fresh Spinach
1 Egg
1 tbsp. Fat Free Feta Cheese


Garnish: Fresh Basil (if desired)
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking oil (or use a pinch of Olive Oil if you prefer). Then add the garlic and spinach. Cook the spinach until it wilts down which will only take about 1-2 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the spinach with the fat free feta and crack your egg on top. Scramble together for another 2 minutes until the egg is cooked. 
3. Then plate and sprinkle with fresh basil ribbons if you like! I love basil and it went awesome with the feta cheese!


Servings: 1


Nutritional Skinny:


109 calories / .4 g fat / 3.3 g carbohydrates /  1 g fiber / 22.4 g protein

Mental Health Benefit: Spinach is another one of those 'wonder' foods. It has tons of health benefits that include helping to reduce blood pressure due to it carrying a ton of potassium and no sodium. It also helps prevent cataract and keeps our eyes healthy. The lutein in spinach has also been found to help reduce artery hardening that leads to heart attacks. Spinach also helps protect our skin and helps prevent against cancer due to the high content of folate among other things. Needless to say, this should be a staple in our fridges and freezers. It doesn't matter if you buy fresh or frozen, this should be present in your house at all times!


2 comments:

Mindie Hilton said...

Just saw your blog at RWoP. I have seen and loved a lot of your videos. I love RWoP too.
I am a new follower. I would like to invite you to check out my blog
I have another give away going on. Here is the link, it is a food blog with nap time crafting and fashion.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/03/couture-bracelet-free-give-away.html

Hot Mess Cooking said...

Mindie - Thanks for stopping by, I've checked out your blog before and am so glad that you are a new 'friend'. I'll continue to check out what your cooking up! ;)