Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Homemade Pasta... easy as can be!

As promised, here is the recipe for delicious and easy home made pasta! Oh and Happy Valentine's Day! I am sending all the love I can fit into these noodles to each and every one of you!

I cheated a little for this recipe. I'm sorry, but I did. We have a noodle machine that's been hiding in the cupboard forever. This seemed like the right occasion to unearth it. 

I'll share the recipe that we used, but I will also tell you how to make the noodles almost as easy without my fancy machine (although, this was so easy! I cleaned the house while the noodles were being pushed out!) It was miraculous... a true dinner miracle.
The recipe below serves anywhere from 3-4 people. You can double it if you want to freeze some of the uncooked noodles (for up to a month!) or if you are expecting more than 4 people for dinner!
And these noodles paired so deliciously with the Bolognese, that I have to share that recipe again with you all so that you can recreate the meal that had me at "Hello"!

Oh and don't miss how I screwed up my Whole Wheat Crusty Italian Bread so you don't have to!

The noodles turned out nothing short of amazing! Try my recipe and I think you will be pleased!

Home Made Pasta Noodles
1 cup white flour 
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/8 cup water
1 tbsp. olive oil

For those with a fancy machine:
1. Place the flour and salt in the machine. Mix the egg, water, and olive oil in a separate bowl. 
2. Turn the machine on to 'mix' and slowly add the egg mixture as the paddles turn. Watch as the batter turns into a crumbly, slightly dry mixture. This is what you want. If it's too wet add a little more flour, you want the dough to be crumbly.
3. Then turn the machine to 'noodle' and watch as the noodles shoot through the screen and make home made pasta. Cut the noodles off as they reach how long you want them. 
4. Place them on a cookie sheet dusted with flour or directly into a large pot of boiling water. Add a little olive oil and salt to the boiling water as they cook. Boil them for about 3-4 minutes. Once cooked to the done-ness that you prefer strain them and I tossed them with some Italian seasonings for a little added kick!
For those without a fancy machine: 

1. (alternate directions) In a large bowl combine the flour, eggs, water, olive oil, and salt. Mix until combined and a stiff dough forms. Then roll out to about a 1/4 inch thick on a well floured surface. Then using a pizza cutter slice thin noodles out of the dough. 

2.Boil a big pot of water with a pinch of salt and olive oil. Place the noodles immediately in the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and serve with the Bolognese or any sauce you prefer. Although I recommend the Bolognese. Have I mentioned that yet?

Servings: 4


Nutritional Skinny:


148 calories / 3.5 g fat / 23 g carbohydrates / 1 g fiber / 3.75 g protein

Mental Health Benefit: These noodles were extremely easy to make (even if you don't have a fancy machine). Although it is Valentine's Day... do you think some one might buy it for you? Huh? That's a thought right? Okay, but onto the Mental health benefit. I compared my nutritional skinny of these home made noodles to the whole wheat noodles that are store bought and you know what I found? My recipe saves you over 30 calories and over 30 g of carbohydrates per serving! Plus if you want to punch up the protein and fiber why not sprinkle a tablespoon of flax into the flour? Go ahead it won't hurt a bit! Or just toss the cooked noodles with a little bit of flax and you have the same effect! Instant healthy and delicious!






No comments: