Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sausage Stuffed Squash... Saweeeettttt!

Oh, how I do love me some squash. I think you all may have already noticed this since I seem to keep sharing recipes with this most auspicious ingredient. I love pretty much any kind of squash, but this recipe we are using winter squash (because it's winter). I know, I'm really clever.

Squash had me at the buttery creamy flavor, but I can't be me without also sharing that it doesn't suck that it's chock full of carotene, which is shown to help prevent cancers, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease. Not to mention that it also is packed with folic acid, fiber, and potassium. 
Talking numbers (for all you number people out there) one cup of this squash as only 115 calories and is loaded with 9 grams of fiber and contains only .3 grams of fat! That's less than one gram folks!

It's sort of like Brad Pitt taking you on a date to Paris and then handing you the winning lottery ticket! It's BRILLIANT!
The darker the color the better... I think we did pretty good with this one right? You might want to know how we make this even more delicious and still keep it simple... Well we are going to add SAUSAGE! Yep, I said it. 

And for those watching cholesterol, weight, and other things, keep in mind that they now  make really delicious turkey sausage that is totally amazing. No need for the fatty pork anymore! And I added my favorite secret Omega-3 power booster, Milled Flax seed! My squash was small so this made the perfect dinner for two!
Sausage Stuffed Squash... It's not just a breakfast food anymore kids. We can have sausage for dinner too...

Just follow these simple steps and you will have delicious before you know it! 

Bon Apetite!

Sausage Stuffed Squash
1 medium sized squash
2 tbsp; olive oil
3 tbsp. minced garlic (reserve 2 tbsp. to cook with onion)
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 white onion
1/2 pound ground turkey sausage
1 tsp. sage
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1. Slice squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
2. Into the hollowed out 'bowl' pour a tsp. of olive oil on each half. Then sprinkle with minced garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Place a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute the onion with the two tbsp. garlic. Then add the sausage and sage. Cook until the meat is browned. Sprinkle with the milled flax seed and set aside. 

4. Once the squash have baked for 50 minutes, test the tenderness of the flesh with a fork. They should feel like a cooked baked potato. If it does we are ready to go! Now pour half of the sausage into each of the squash 'bowls' and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. Then serve immediately! I sprinkled a little fresh shredded lettuce on top for a little extra crunch that went great with the sweet juiciness of the sausage and squash!

Servings: 2

Nutritional Skinny:

432 calories / 27 g fat / 20 g carbohydrates / 8.1 g fiber / 23.5 g protein
Mental Health Tip: I've told you about the benefits of squash, but now I want to talk about the benefits of dinner time. It is the time when we get to relax, reconnect, and feel comforted. That's why I always set the table and make it look nice. Flowers don't hurt either. I mean really if Brad Pitt is handing me a winning lottery ticket, can't he bring flowers too? I don't see why not and really... I mean this seriously... we deserve flowers, peace, and a healthy meal every single day. Yes, we do and nothing says peace to me like a clean, set, table.

Dinner is served! :)

No comments: