Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Crab and Broccoli Souffle

I realize that no one really cares about being healthy right now. It's the holidays after all and as my grandpa would say... "Who gives a rat's #*$ about health. This is the time to splurge, not care, and just let go. Well I am all for letting go, however I (in contrary to many) believe that everything we eat can still have elements of health. 

I said it.
I think we can make everything healthy, even souffle. And it's made with eggs, flour, butter, and milk usually. Well, I 'hot messed' it. And it's delicious.

Actually my mom did. I claim nothing but the photos and doesn't the cheese on top sort of remind you of fresh fallen snow?


Or have I just lost my mind?


Wait... don't answer that. I don't want to know.
I'm not really all that okay to be honest. Winter has brought clouds, rain, snow, and darkness. And in a non typical fashion I'm getting tired of the darkness. The good news is that today is the shortest day. The winter solstice. Tomorrow will be longer-- brighter even.

Hopefully.

In that same spirit of hope-fullness, I am sharing some pretty pictures of this delicious lunch, brunch, or dinner. The crust is made from brown and wild rice and then there's crab in the filling! 

Yes!  Did someone say crab? I just melted some butter on instinct (okay-- it was smart balance, but what the heck?)

I said crab! It sounds magical doesn't it? I happen to think that crab makes everything better. Kind of like bacon without all the fat.
I love crab, but if you aren't as big of a fan, no worries! You can substitute just about anything for the crab meat. Here are a few ideas: left over turkey or ham, or possibly some ground turkey or even some prime rib would be delicious. The sky is your oyster..


Or is that the world is your limit?

Oh, whatever.. You get the point. Now for the recipe... dig into this! It's a great way to use your holiday leftovers and makes something different and super yummy for those house guests that won't leave! :)

And before you make this.. I want you to know.


You are perfect just the way that you are. Always. 


Even right now as you are microwaving butter to dip crab into.


You are perfect. 


I promise.

Crab and Broccoli Souffle
2 cups broccoli; chopped
1 cup yellow squash; chopped
1 white onion; chopped
4 cloves garlic; minced
2 tablespoons smart balance butter
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
2 (6 ounce) cans white lump crab meat
3 eggs
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon minced dried onion
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

For the crust:

2 cups long grain brown rice; cooked according to package instructions
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 tablespoon olive oil

1. In a skillet combine the broccoli, squash, onion, garlic, and butter. Saute for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until the onions become translucent and the squash and broccoli soften. Remove from heat and set aside and mix in the lump crab meat and shredded cheese.

2. In a separate bowl combine the cooked rice, egg, marjoram, and olive oil. Spray a baking dish and press the rice into the bottom creating a thin crust.

3. Next layer the lump crab meat mixture on top of the brown rice crust. 

4. In another bowl combine the eggs, yogurt, dried onion,  and kosher salt. Mix until smooth and pour over the vegetable crab mixture. 

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. A knife inserted should come out clean. 

6. Once removed from the oven top with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and bake 5 more minutes and garnish with fresh parsley.

Servings: 8

Nutritional Skinny:


360 calories / 11 g fat / 50 g carbohydrates / 2.5 g fiber / 16.4 g protein

Mental Health Tip: You are perfect just the way you are. Give yourself the gift of forgiveness. Right now. I promise you deserve it. The holidays are busy, tough, and full of expectations. Give those away and what you could be left with is...


Love

No comments: