Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Corn Scallop.. Perfect for Thanksgiving

We made it through our 1,500 mile road trip to Chicago. The weather was the worst possible. First there was a blizzard, then there was blowing snow and freezing rain, slick roads, until finally we are in Chicago and we woke up this morning to a raging thunderstorm outside.

The black cloud seems to have abandoned Charlie Brown in favor of our road trip. Luckily my sister predicted our lack of sanity and decided to cook us dinner when we got here so as not to scare the locals. (She is my brilliant big sister). Dinner was amazing and one of the highlights were these amazingly delicious Almond Flour Cranberry cookies. This recipe is going to be coming up on an upcoming blog. They are just surprisingly delicious!
And on a rainy day there is nothing better than cookies! But that's for another blog.

This blog we are going to talk about something that makes me really happy... Corn... Creamed corn to be exact.
With it we took a family recipe and cooked up a Corn Scallop that would be perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table. My honey got a recipe from his mother and started making it. Now in an effort to be completely honest with you. I made fun of him the whole time wanting to make changes to the recipe in my typical 'hot mess' style, but he wouldn't allow it. Thank Goddess he is as stubborn as me and we left the recipe alone. It was my favorite thing on our Pre-Thanksgiving Practice run table.
I mean seriously it makes me really really happy!
It literally begged me to eat it. It taunted me even the next day...

I ate it cold.
I couldn't keep it from my mouth...
I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do. And take my advice, leave the recipe just the way it is. And don't fight and be stubborn like me. Just listen to those that love you. Sometimes (but not many) other people can be right.

Corn Scallop

2 cans cream style corn
2 eggs; beaten
1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
1/2 cup smart balance butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup red pepper; minced
1 tbsp. minced celery
1 tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. splenda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (topping)

***Most of the effort in this recipe comes from the mincing, shredding, and dicing of vegetables. Once you do the veggie preparation it's a quick dish.

1. In a large bowl combine the cream style corn, eggs, saltine crackers, butter,  evaporated milk, carrot, red pepper, celery, onion, splenda, and salt. Mix with a large spoon until all ingredients are combined. 

2. Place in a baking pan and top with the shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 24-30 minutes. And enjoy! 

Servings: 20 (approx 1/4 cup)

Nutritional Skinny:


129 calories / 9 g fat / 7.2 g carbohydrates / .8 g fiber / 7 g protein


This also goes great with the squash puree recipe from my blog last week!




Mental Health Tip: The holidays are upon us and it is one of those times of year that we are stretched thin, moving fast, and our arms are overflowing with responsibilities. It is pretty easy to get 'out of bubble' and make decisions that we will regret. So let's you and me make a pact this holiday season. Let's take a deep breath, ask for help if we need it, and smile at ourselves and our loved ones.  When we feel frazzled, let's take a walk instead of getting upset, and let's take one moment at a time. One step, then the next. Today, I am going to take my own advice and I'm heading to the Botanical Gardens for a little sunshine and pretty scenery. I hope you get some pretty scenery in your day too!

No comments: