Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Peanut Thai Noodles with Turkey


Where have I been? 

I mean seriously, I disappeared for almost two whole months! No new recipes, no new yummy food pictures... Where was I?

Well, I actually have a really good explanation. Let me 'splain it to you..

I'm pregnant.

Yep, little Hot Mess herself is having a Mini Hot Mess. During those two months I was either in bed sick, eating toast (didn't think you'd need that recipe), or moaning out of discomfort (whoever called it morning sickness has never been pregnant because it lasts all day and night).

The good news is that I'm back, feeling good and my energy has returned along with my appetite and mini Hot Mess and I are doing just fine and 5 months along!
I knew I needed to come back with something really yummy and I don't think you will be disappointed. This Peanut Thai Noodle dish with Turkey brought me back to the key board to share this delicious and simple recipe with all of you.

I used left over turkey from Thanksgiving because I was tired of turkey sandwiches and I knew this would give the turkey an interesting and new twist. I also made this dinner in 20 minutes at 9 pm after an eight hour shift swilling beers at the brewery... aka anyone can make this in a hurry.
You can also use chicken, shrimp, pork, or just do vegetables. I also used peas and broccoli, but you could also add shredded carrot, bamboo shoots, cauliflower, whatever you like best!

Thanks for your patience while I dealt with the constant nausea they sweetly call 'morning sickness'. I appreciate you!

Now on with the brand-spanking new recipe!

Peanut Thai Noodles with Turkey
1 Box Angel Hair Pasta (Whole Wheat if you can find it)
2 Cups Cooked Turkey
1 Cup Frozen Peas
2 Cups Frozen Broccoli Florets


Thai Peanut Sauce


3/4 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
6 Tbsp. All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
1 tsp Dried Chili Peppers
4 Tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
4 Tbsp. Lime Juice


Crushed Peanuts (for garnish if desired)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. 
2. Meanwhile, cut the turkey into bite sized pieces.
3. Measure the peas and broccoli florets. In a microwave safe bowl heat the broccoli for 3 minutes just to remove the frozen chill off of them.


4. In a separate bowl, combine the chicken broth, peanut butter, chili peppers, soy sauce, and lime juice and whisk together until a smooth sauce forms. Heat the sauce in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds at a time to soften the peanut butter and allow the sauce to become smooth stirring in between heating. It will most likely take about a minute and a half. 

5. Add the peas and broccoli to the empty colander. Then pour the cooked pasta water and pasta over the peas and broccoli and shake to remove any excess liquid. 


6. Then pour the pasta and vegetables into a large skillet over low heat. Add the turkey and peanut sauce. Stir using tongs to toss the vegetables and sauce to evenly incorporate into the noodles. Continue stirring and tossing the pasta for about 10 minutes over low heat to continue heating all the ingredients. 
7. Serve in large bowls with chopped peanuts sprinkled on top!

Serving: 8

Nutritional Skinny:


358 calories / 8 g fat / 49 g carbohydrates / 4.25 g fiber / 23.4 g protein


Mental Health Tip: If you are looking for something lower carbohydrate that this you can always substitute spaghetti squash or a millet or flax seed noodle. You can also cut the pasta in half and add more vegetables to create a less carbohydrate loaded meal. Between the turkey and the peanut butter this meal is loaded with an amazing 23 grams of protein, something me and 'little one' are excited about.


Stay tuned for more fun and healthy holiday meals and treats!


I'm baaaahaaaack!

No comments: