Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Buttermilk Lemon Pound Cake

I've been sort of crazy busy lately. I bet you've noticed and felt a little neglected. Please, let me explain...

It all started when my computer crashed and I was without for almost 2 weeks! I know! It was a scary moment in my world, but I kept a positive attitude and got a new hard drive and things are back to normal.

Then, I moved. Uh huh, you all know how much fun that is.

Then I went to Las Vegas. Now that was some fun. And now I'm getting ready to head out on another trip to Lake Charles, LA. 

But I had buttermilk in the fridge and I had lemons that would all go bad if I didn't make something delicious with them. So, after the move, but before Las Vegas I whipped up a really easy Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake. It was delicious and easy.

AKA - I made it while I was unloading my car and moving...

The best part is that the frosting comes out of a jar and is totally delicious!

And because I was about to travel I sliced up some of this yummy Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake and gave some to my friends who were taking car of my car while I was gone. See! Everyone ends up a winner. I don't loose my buttermilk or lemons and my friends get Pound Cake!

Don't worry though, all my stuff is still in boxes and suitcases. I decided that eating this delicious cake is way more important. And it is so delicious that while I'm eating it, I had to share the simple recipe with you. 

Unpacking can wait until the cake is gone! And just wait until you read the nutritional skinny on this dense, moist, and mouth-wateringly rich cake! You won't believe your taste buds! We shaved over half the fat, calories, and carbohydrates from other lemon pound cakes!

Now on with the recipe.... enjoy!

Lower Fat Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake

1/2 cup Butter (I prefer salted)
6 ounces Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
2 cups Baking Splenda sugar
4 Eggs
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Low Fat Buttermilk
Grated zest of 2 Lemons
Juice of 2 large lemon (about 3 tablespoons) 

For the Glaze:

1 (10 ounce) Jar Lemon Curd
Powdered Sugar for Sprinkling
Extra Lemon Zest for Sprinkling (if desired)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the softened butter, vanilla yogurt, and splenda. Combine with a wooden spoon until creamy and incorporated.  Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating with a wire whisk until eggs are incorporated and batter is smooth. 
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir together with a wire whisk. 
4. Then add a third of the flour mixture to the egg mixture, then add half of the buttermilk, then another third of the flour mixture, and then the rest of the buttermilk and the rest of the flour stiring in between each addition.  Fold each addition gently until the batter looks well blended. 
5. Then add the lemon zest and juice and stir until well incorporated. I used even a little more lemon juice to give it an extra little kick!
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow cool for 10-20 minutes. 
7. Now comes the really easy part! Place the jar of lemon curd uncovered in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to soften it. Invert your lemon cake onto a pretty plate. Then spread about half of the jar of curd over the top of the cake using a butter knife or small rubber spatula. Then sprinkle with powdered sugar liberally and then top with a little bit of extra lemon zest for color and pop! 

Slice and Serve immediately!

Servings: 16

Nutritional Skinny:

181 calories / 7.4 g fat / 23 g carbohydrates / .75 g fiber / 5 g protein

Mental Health Benefit: Okay... here's the deal. Pound cake isn't great for you, this I think we can all agree on. And this recipe still has come fat and carbohydrates, but if you compare it to your friendly neighborhood coffee shop pound cake that weighs in with a whopping 500 calories, 23 g of fat, and 69 g of carbohydrates we more than halved the amount of fat and calories for this recipe! Plus if you are looking for ways to save even more fat you can swap egg whites for the whole eggs. The cake will end up a little lighter, but still just as flavorful and delicious!

Now who says we can't have our cake and eat it too?


No comments: