Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Grillin' with Feelin'

After a wild and rowdy long weekend at Lake Charles, LA, with my Chicks I find myself home alone again. The weekend was an annual visit with my I AM Chick sisters. There was laughter, boat dancing, swimming, eating, and lots and lots of love. The trip started with me accidentally getting on the wrong airplane and ending up in Minneapolis instead of Salt Lake City! Ooops! As my Chicks said, I am a piece of work, and I ended up arriving in Houston at exactly the same time as I was originally planed.
 The rest of the trip was just as wild and just as fun! We stayed at the most beautiful lake house and saw gorgeous sunsets. There was lots of great food, prepared in Hot Mess style, and we did lots of fun things that I can't share on this blog... Let's just say that what happens in Lake Charles... Stays in Lake Charles!

Now I am faced with myself and the computer and trying to stay on task. A lot harder than originally believed when I got out of bed this morning... I find myself day dreaming, thinking, wandering around the house and generally distracting myself...
 Instead of finishing my outline, I decided to type up this blog in honor of my I AM Chicks. They are the wind beneath my wings, the laughter inside my tears, and the calm in the storm. This Grilled Chicken wings, Spicy corn on the cob, and delicious Apricot Chocolate Cheese-quakes are the perfect way to celebrate a sisterhood of the heart.

These recipes are also easy and the perfect way to celebrate the end of a great weekend, the end of summer and a whole new beginning awaiting all of us. I wouldn't change a thing... Not this cloudy day, not this cold weather, and especially not any of my friends, family, or sisters!

  • I AM exactly where I want to be.
  • I am grateful for the many blessings in my life.
  • I am creating the life that I deserve, one recipe at a time!
Oh, and I am grateful for this fresh delicious sweet corn! What are you grateful for? These recipes I hope! ;)

Spicy Grilled Chicken
2 pounds chicken wings

Marinade:

1/4 cup hot sauce (we love Valentino's)
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. Italian seasonings
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Hungarian Paprika
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cracked pepper

1. Combine the hot sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, cayenne pepper, paprika, and olive oil using a whisk.

2. In a large bowl place all of the chicken wings. We prepare each of them by creating triangle shapes by placing the leg behind the drum stick. Add the marinade to the wings and turn to coat the chicken completely. Then cover with saran wrap. Allow to sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but it can be overnight if you have the time.

3. When ready to cook, heat your grill to 250 degrees. Place the chicken wings on the grill and cover. Check and turn every 20 minutes for 2 hours total. We are cooking these low and slow so they will fall right off the bone and be tender and delicious. After 2 hours place in a serving dish and eat with your fingers! Delicious!

Grilled Spicy Corn on the Cob
6 ears of sweet corn; husks removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. With husks removed place the corn right on a grill that has been heated to 300 degrees. Brush each corn cob with olive oil on both sides. Then sprinkle each side with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Close the lid and cook each side for 10-15 minutes. The corn will pop and sizzle and slightly blacken. This is exactly what you want to happen!

2. Once the corn has been grilled and is sufficiently cooked and blackened. Place in a large serving platter or bowl and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately with the delicious chicken wings!

Apricot Chocolate Cheese-quakes!
Crust:

1 cup crushed chocolate wafer cookies (we used Pirouette chocolate fudge wafers)
1/4 cup milled flax seed

Filling:

8 ounces low fat Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup low fat sour cream
2 cups fresh apricots; pitted and sliced in half (about 3-4 apricots)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup splenda
1 eggs
1 tablespoon brandy (we used E & J)
3 ounces dark chocolate (we used Hershey's dark chocolate)

To make the crust:

1. Crush up a cup of the chocolate wafer cookies and add the milled flax seed and stir to combine.

2. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Spray with non-fat cooking spray. Reserving 1/4 of a cup , sprinkle the cookie and flax seed mixture into the bottom of each of the muffin tins using about 1-2 tablespoons per muffin. Spray the crust with a little bit of cooking spray to seal. Set the muffin tins aside and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

To make the filling:

3. In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, apricots, vanilla, splenda, egg, and brandy. Process until smooth. Add the chocolate breaking into small pieces at the end and process for another 20 seconds.

4. Pour the filling into each muffin until full and bake for 30 minutes.
Topping and eating...!

5. Once done the top should be only slightly jiggly.

6. Remove from oven once the top is set and spread a teaspoon of sugar free apricot jam (we love Smucker's) and sprinkle with the remaining cookie crumb mixture.

7. Allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least one hour and devour! Bon Appetite!

Mental Health Benefit: These recipes are easy, healthy, and best of all they are fresh and no matter what the weather is like near you they are the perfect way to celebrate summer. Hang on to the very last drops of this summer time bliss. With fall comes great things too, but that doesn't mean that we can't celebrate the hot mess bliss that summer brings us all. As you pack yourself or your kids up for school celebrate the lasting summer with one more delicious outdoor cooked meal!

Sending you love from my kitchen to yours!

~ "Little Hot Mess" In the kitchen!

No comments: