Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cookies aren't just for monsters!

Sometimes I just need a cookie... It's unavoidable. Just like sometimes I need a hot fudge sundae. And today I do. Need a cookie or two. I also needed to get into my happy place, the kitchen. I work nights waiting tables now and I don't get to cook as much. I miss it, cooking. It is crazy, but I do! This afternoon I take the bull by the horns and take some time and get into the kitchen. In the kitchen is where I get to release some energy, get my creativity stimulated, and promote happiness within me.

I didn't want to get crazy with the cookies by using only healthy ingredients, but my goal was to add a little nutrition. These recipes are simple and my special taste tester called these, "the best cookies on the planet." Try them out for yourself and see what you think. There is real sugar, but you can easily substitute splenda for the sugar or half the sugar. The whole wheat actually made the chocolate chip cookies better and the flax in the peanut cookies was distinguishable! Once again my mission to make things healthy and delicious is a success!

Peanutiest Cookies


2 Cups All Natural Peanut Butter  (We love Smuckers)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Baking Splenda
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Milled Flax Seeds
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix the peanut butter, sugar, splenda, eggs, baking soda, flax seed, whole wheat flour, and chocolate chips. The batter will be thick and crumbly.

3. Using your hands, form into over-sized walnut balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Smooshing the batter in your palms will make it stick together. Gently flatten with a fork making the trademark crisscross pattern.

4. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Delicious!

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Salted Butter; Softened
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Package Semisweet Chocolate Chips (2 cups)




1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


2. Mix the sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg together until creamed together.
3. Then add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Combine with a wooden spoon until ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be thick and slightly flaky.



4. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Grease your baking sheets with cooking spray. Because the dough was so flaky, I used my hands to form small balls of dough squeezing the dough together. Place the dough at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 






***These cookies didn't flatten like they can when using white flour, they just puffed up delightfully and were the most amazing cookies. The whole wheat flour gave it great texture and more flavor.

Servings: 40

Nutritional Skinny:

 94.7 calories / 4.7 g fat / 33 g carbohydrates / .8 g fiber / 1.2 g protein



Mental Health Benefit: Sometimes we all deserve a little break. Maybe even a cookie and milk break. Go ahead and make these cookies and enjoy. You deserve a little cookie. You and cookie monster. He was loveable right? Well, so are you! Fill your cookie jar and get your hands in there. Cookies aren't just for kids! They are for us grown ups too!

Peace and chocolate from your kitchen to mine!

~ "Too Lovely" Hot Messes cookie heaven!








2 comments:

cris said...

My lil monsters would love these! And yes - you are lovable! miss you

Hot Mess Cooking said...

I know they would love these! All three of your monsters! Miss you! Your husband will never know you snuck in flax!