Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Steak Tostados with Spicy Coleslaw

I am back to cooking for three, my mom, dad and I. It has been a while since it has just been the three of us and I have to readjust my measurements for cooking for three instead of cooking for the two or fifteen I have been used to! Tonight I am trying my hand at re-creating a meal that I had for lunch at Taco Del Sol. I tried a fish burrito and it was delicious wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla and packed with fish, spicy cream sauce, and crisp cabbage. In truth, I think it is that bite of cabbage alongside the spicy sauce that really took this lunch over the top for me.

I have been bragging about it so much that I decided to try my hand at re-creating it using steak instead. It turned out so good, that I had one of my, now all too familiar, food-gasms. The flavors in this recipe are spicy, creamy, and crisp. It was totally delicious and I pulled it together in under 10 minutes. However, I had cheated and pre-cooked the steak on the grill the day before, but still. It was a quick, healthy, and delicious meal that my family loved and it got them around the table. And it perfectly fed three! Mission accomplished.

Steak Tostadas
9 oz. Sirloin Steak (or your favorite)
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Chili Powder
3 corn Tortillas
1/2 Cup Salsa
1/2 Cup Fat Free Cheddar Cheese; Shredded

1. To prepare the meat, slice into 1 1/2 inch cubes and sprinkle with chili powder, cayenne pepper and set aside.

2. Heat a large saute pan with olive oil and garlic over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add the steak cubes and saute for 3 minutes per side. This will make a medium steak which is perfect for this tostado. Add the salsa to the top of the steak and cover and remove from heat to allow the steak to cool and continue cooking and the salsa to heat up.

3. In a separate skillet, heat the corn tortillas through on both sides; about 30 seconds a side.

4. To plate, place a tortilla down, sprinkle with cheese and add the steak mixture on the cheese. The cheese will melt and the meat with be perfectly tender. For the perfect meal, add the coleslaw from the recipe below on top and devour! It is the perfect combination of spicy, creamy, and juicy textures. Your family will love this simple meal and be begging for you to make it over and over again!

Servings: 3 (one tostada)


Nutritional Skinny:


350 calories / 14.7 g fat / 14.4 g carbohydrates / 8 g fiber / 33.1 g protein

Spicy Cabbage Slaw
1/2 cup Fat Free Sour Cream
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
3 tbsp. Fresh Cilantro; Diced
Juice of One Lime
3 tbsp. Hot Sauce (Tabasco works great but you can use your favorite)
2 cups Shredded Red Cabbage
1/4 Cup Green Onion; Minced
Salt and Pepper to Taste

1. Combine the sour cream, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce. Mix it all with a whisk to create the dressing. 

2. Thinly sliced the cabbage and red onion using a sharp knife. Toss in the cabbage and green onion and turn to coat all of the cabbage. Refrigerate until ready to plate. This is delicious alongside the tostada's above. It is the perfect combination and can even be made a day ahead if need be! And there will be left over for more later!
Servings:6 (1/2 cup approximately)


Nutritional Skinny:


39 calories / 2.4 g fat / 3.5 g carbohydrates / .9 g fiber / 1 g protein


Mental Health Benefit: Do you ever have those days where you can't seem to do anything right? You piss of your best friend, break your tooth (and you don't have health insurance), trip over the cat, miss the picture of the sunset, and finally end up in a heap at the end of the day? Well, this is the perfect meal for THAT day! It is easy to prepare, fool proof, and people will think you are a genius. Go ahead and try it. Today isn't a day for something hard. Save that for tomorrow. Today give yourself a break and make this easy, healthy, and fool proof meal for your family. Tomorrow you can make up with your best friend, kiss your cat, forgive yourself for breaking your tooth, and have your camera ready for that sunset. Today is a day for something far more easy. Save the hard stuff for tomorrow.

Go easy on yourself from my kitchen to yours!

~ My little Hot Mess Self still in the kitchen!

No comments: